Saturday, February 18, 2006

Living the Dream...



















Earlier this week, I applied for two jobs at DC Comics. They are both general admin jobs, but hey, it's a step in the right direction! I cannot say how much I want to get a job with DC, it's pretty much one of my lifelong dreams. What I really want to do is write Superman, but to even contribute in a small way, and be just a little part of the character's history - well, that is all part of the dream.

It's very hard to become a writer for DC. They do not accept submissions of written work, only artwork, and even then it's pretty difficult to actually get any work out of them. One of the most fundamental tips you will hear from anyone in the biz is that you shouldn't start out trying to pitch an idea for a comics line's biggest character; after all, these franchises are worth millions to them. The best way to start out is by pitching a new idea, or something for one of their smaller characters. I've actually done this - I've been working on a script for a graphic novel for some months now, and I haven't got the first clue how I would submit it to DC. Sure, I could approach another publisher, but I really want to go through DC, and (you'll have to excuse my big-headedness here) I'm pretty sure that if I could get them to look at it, they'd want it to be them that published it too.

But at the moment, I would be happy to just work there. So, in the meantime, fingers crossed!!!

No comments: