Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Great Depot Robbery

So, a gang of theives have stolen what could be up to £50 million from a security depot in Kent. It has been all over the news this week. Media rection has been mixed, but I found it particularly interesting when I heard one breakfast television journalist comment that we must not glorify these criminals and think that they managed to succesfully pull this off without anyone getting hurt, as the wife and child of the manager who they pulled over in their 'police car' were deeply traumatised by the ordeal.

Yeah right.

These men have succesfully pulled off the biggest heist in British history, and not a single person has been killed or injured. The woman and child traumatised? I seriously doubt it. I would imagine they were well looked after and constantly reassured that no harm would come to them throughout the entire episode. Can I prove this? No. But if I were going to pull off a job like this, that's certainly how I'd do it.

Police have uncovered a trail of clues, and have made press statements claiming they are hot on the heels of this gang due to their slopiness. Do people actually buy this crap? Look at what we know; as I said above, they managed to actually steal £50m. That's no easy feat, but to do it without killing or even hurting anyone? That's impressive. The police have asked why certain vehicles used in the heist have been found burned out and some left with all their forensic evidence in tact, and why the theives left the CCTV footage in place. Slopiness? I think not. Whoever did this is obviously intelligent, methodical, and undoubtedly working with someone on the inside. The police have been telling us that the theives got sloppy and that is how they are going to catch them. Frankly, I don't believe it, and I don't think the police do either. Of course, they have to put on a brave and confident face for the public, but I doubt the police force in this country, who I personally have faith in (to an extent) will be examining this 'evidence' as anything more than what it is; an obvious red herring.

There is of course the matter of the key clue, the wads of cash from the heist that a woman attempted to pay into her bank account, but I'm sure that all fits into the masterplan somewhere.

Am I endorsing what these people did? Certainly not, but I am endorsing how they did it. No, we mustn't 'glorify' these criminals for pulling it off without hurting anyone, but if truth be told, I'd take people who steal £50m without hurting anyone over people who hospitalise others on the street for a fiver, or worse still, just for the hell of it. Let's make sure we remember not to glorify them either.

2 comments:

Fuckkit said...

That's it, if I'm ever approached to be a getaway driver I'm so gonna do it.

X38 said...

Sounds like an awesome plan! Make sure the job description reads 'getaway driver' and not 'fall guy' though! ;)